Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Home Letter Volume 37, No. 6, August 12, 1963

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Back to Index

Home Letter Heading


VOLUME 37             August 12, 1963                   No. 6

BASEBALL DAY: Cold, cloudy, and windy in the morning with a few showers, but clearing in the afternoon much to the delight of the myriads of baseball fans which crowded into the village of Cooperstown to witness the annual Hall of Fame game. Most of our day was taken up with preparations to go to the game, seeing the game, and returning to camp once more. Many, many sandwiches were prepared beforehand, and a picnic lunch was had outdoors before departing for Cooperstown. Ninety members of Hyde Bay attended the game along with some 9,987 other enthusiastic fans. Those remaining in Camp took part in the camp activities with not too much competition from anyone. Volunteers from the in-camp groups were organized and a Lookout trip left shortly before five o'clock under the direction of Lawry Pickett, Randy Burwell, John Diamond, and McKee Lundberg. About everyone was ready for their regular bedtime.

TUESDAY: Clear and warm. This allowed us to finish up on our Life Saving classes and examinations. The final tennis tournament commenced. There will be three divisions in this, the winners of which will receive trophies, at the final barbeque. Aside from the usual good participation in the camp programs, a large Nebo trip set forth with Doug Coupe and Ron Jones in charge along with four ULs and twenty campers. Tents 5 and 11 went to the Willows with their councilors, Bill Bergstrom and Randy Burwell. The rest of us went to bed at the proper hour.

WEDNESDAY: Hazy, cloudy, breezy, with some sun later in the day. With a good brisk breeze the sailboats were in constant use as were the Sailflsh. The temperature was warm enough that we could also get in considerable water skiing and swimming. In the evening, we saw "Scarlet Coat" starring Cornel Wilde--a good story exposing Benedict Arnold's treason.

THURSDAY: Sunny with a fine sailing wind. The morning was occupied with all activities with emphasis on sailing and baseball practice (the latter in preparation for a game in Cooperstown on Friday evening.) Lunch time was the hour of organization of a massive exodus for overnight trips of one sort or another involving about seventy odd campers and councilors. Bob Cunningham, Bruce Northrup, and Eric Murray started the movement with a trip to Rum Hill. They were closely followed by Bob Pine and McKee Lundberg in a hike on foot to Lookout with many campers. By water, Tents #55B and 10, with Charlie Tracy and Todd Mulvenny were off to the Willows. Again, a quiet evening in camp for those remaining at home. A short movie produced by the Boston Red Sox on the requirements of major league playing was shown at the theater.

FRIDAY: We awoke to a perfectly beautiful camp day. Final touches were put on our newest endeavor, the-Mouldy-Mobile-Coaster. This very long appellation belongs to an apparatus that resembles a toboggan slide about forty feet long and six feet high at its starting point, situated on the shore and extending into the lake. The Coaster itself is made up of four sections of conveyor rollers commonly found in milk creameries. The Mobile sleds are fiberglass pack-sleds used in the Army snow troops for transporting supplies. The first run was made with much ceremony by Mr. Mouldy. After a few trial runs, we decided to make a few adjustments to produce a faster ride. Once the adjustments were made, there have been many customers each day and appears to bo a popular addition to our waterfront. After an early supper, the twelve-and-over baseball team left for Cooperstown to play the town team. We were not as fortunate as in our first encounter and lost 9-2. The ULs made their weekly trip to town plus participating in some bowling as well.

SATURDAY: Warm with scattered clouds. After milk and cookies, the annual Hyde Bay Nature Hunt commenced. This Hunt consists of a list of different items found in nature in and around camp. With varying numerical values depending on the difficulty encountered in finding them. More than half the camp joined in and some very interesting .displays were set up. At the end of the day, the highest scores were determined and the rewards include a trip to town for movie and ice cream, a trip to town for ice cream, and thirds on ice cream for a full week. In the afternoon twelve-and-over baseball players met with Chenango again and were victorious by a score of 6-0. Rob Reynolds pitched his second no-hitter of the season. The evening was highlighted by the final series of tent plays. The .best actor was Josh Shoemaker and best actress.was Jamie Flowers. Tent #14 and #16 produced the outstanding play in the judges's opinion. A special award was made to John Briggs for his impersonation of Frankie Fontaine-a superb performance and well deserving of the honor. In-between-play singing was done with the accompaniment of Mr. Ryan, our visiting Hacker "engineer." Neil Cavanaugh, Pope Brock, and John Schmick also provided us with their renditions in one Intermission.

SUNDAY: Bright and sunny with scattered clouds in the morning, becoming overcast and threatening, with rain in-the afternoon. The routine Sunday trunk inspection, hot showers, and other clean-up duties were accomplished. The church service was conducted by Hunt Hilliard whose talk concerned the role of God in our-.every day living and the importance of not forgetting His Influence on everything we do. Late in the morning, the-water skiing started and was continued in the afternoon until the electrical storm intervened. Immediately after lunch the Councilor-Campcr baseball game got under way--with Jamie Flowers pitching for the Campors and Mr. Mouldy doing the honors for the Councilors. The game was finally called because of rain with a score of 11-5 in favor of the Councilors. Once again, we were inundated by a hard hail storm that was of great interest to all--especially when we could see several rainbows at the same time. The outdoor supper was followed by the trip to town for Inspection winners, 'Tents #4 and #53B. Then came the evening movies and slides of Alaska shown by Mrs. Chandlee's sister.

TRAVEL TIMES: for the supervised group to N.Y. and points south are as follows: the group will leave Cooperstown at 8:40 A.M. DST, Friday. August 23 and arrive at Gate #37 in the N.Y. Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is located at 8th Avenue and 41st Street at 2:05 P.M. DST. Those continuing on will then board train #173, the Senator which leaves from Penn Station at 3:00 P.M. DST, arriving in Baltimore at 6:09 P.M. DST and Washington at 6:50 P.M. Unless we are notified to the contrary, we will express C.O.D. all baggage of the boys going by bus and train. PLEASE return your cards as soon as possible with the travel directions on them.

There is no more room at Rathbun's for reservations but there are other places that we probably can help you with so far as accommodations are concerned.


Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge