Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Home Letter Volume 37, No. 7, August 19, 1963

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Back to Index

Home Letter Heading


VOLUME 37             August 19, 1963                   No. 7

MONDAY: Clear with some clouds in the afternoon. The early part of the morning was occupied by riding, archery, and sailing. A little before eleven, eighty two members of the camp left for Howe Caverns in camp cars and chartered taxi cabs. They had a picnic lunch at the Caves and returned home about three in the afternoon. Shortly before supper time, another Nebo trip went out with Walter Rogers, McKee Lundberg, Bill Bergstrom, and Randy Burwell in charge. At about, the same time, Peter Kinder and John Young traveled by water to the Willows. For those left in camp we had football and "Capture the Flag" after supper.

TUESDAY: Rainy morning changing to overcast and then back to rain in the afternoon. A group of twenty four went to the baseball museum. Another twenty five of the twelve-and-under baseball team played Chenango in hard-ball with a loss in a score of 9-2. After lunch we sent another twenty four boys to the Farmer's Museum. Playing the hunch that Wednesday night might be better weatherwise, we decided to run the Wednesday night movie on this evening instead. .We then proceeded to see "Attack at Fort Bravo" starring William Holden.

ICE CREAM DAY: Rainy, clearing in the afternoon with a gusty wind. The weather encouraged us to finish up the Farmer's and Baseball Museum trips for the season. Those not involved in these trips took advantage of all the other camp activities except the water which was not very inviting. Immediately after lunch thirty boys went over to the nearby Bowling Alley--a surprise to all of them and a pleasant afternoon's entertainment. Unfortunately, the weather was not good enough for trips as we had hoped for yesterday. In their place we showed two very fine films: the 1961 World Series and a film produced by NASA on the progress of space science up to the present time.

THURSDAY: Cool, partly cloudy and windy. After morning inspection, final sailing races in the senior division were begun. The ULs went off for the first load of wood for the final bonfire. This final bonfire is a tradition that we have had for many years. It is built on the beach close to the water and in such a manner that if it falls, it will fall into the water. The material for the fire is gathered from the surrounding woods by the ULs and then stacked tepee style--the highest sticks usually being about thirty feet high. When the fire is at its height, the flames can be seen from all points in the Bay. The final wind-up boating events were started in the morning for the younger boys. The winners in all these events receive their ribbons on the Barbeque night. Also, the Shuffleboarders commenced their contests. In the late afternoon, the final Nebo trip departed under the guidance of Alton Davison, Lawry Pickett, and McKee Lundberg. Walter Rogers also took Tents #2 and 12 to the Willows and was ably assisted by UL Mark Lester. Immediately after supper the Nature Hunt winners Fred Gale, Chris West, Billy Fisher, Dave Whitman, Steve Hyde, and Rusty Pickett went into town to the movies to see Walt Disney's "Summer Magic."

FRIDAY: The weather was cool and clear and sunny. There was much activity around the stables in preparation for the riding show that was held in the afternoon. The morning was also involved with more events in the swimming and tennis wind-ups. After lunch all of us went to the riding area to view a very fine riding show with Bob Rockwell, Ricky Reese, and Peter Kinder as the organizers. All classes were closely contested with but one point separating many of the winners from the rest of the participants. The reason for the somewhat early date on the show was due to the fact that Bob Rockwell had a date with Uncle Sam to fulfill his two weeks reserve duty beginning on Saturday. After supper the twelve-and-over baseball team went to Doubleday Field in Cooperstown to play the final game of this series. It was a very tight game with Robbie Reynolds as pitcher but Hyde Bay finally lost by a score of 3-0. The ULs took their last trip to the Bowling Alley for 1965.

SATURDAY: Windy and clear until after lunch. Then a short thunder storm in the afternoon. We continued with the swimming and boating wind-ups in the morning with the good weather at hand. There was much good wind for sailing so the-boats were kept very busy all morning.. The final archery tournament went into full gear with over fifty five boys entered. For the first year of this activity we feel that this is an excellent representation from camp. The ULs assisted in getting more wood for the bonfire. All camp activities continued along in between the rain. At night we were treated to a very fine performance of "Peter and the Wolf" by members of the council. This was a pantomime done to the actual music and story on record. John Mercer, John Diamond, and Mr. Downs are responsible for the realistic interpretation. The intervals between acts were supplemented by musical contributions from Bob Cunningham and visiting Mac Mellor, John Schmick and Nell Cavanaugh. One of the local merchants had presented us with 100 pounds of shell peanuts. These were bagged and distributed to the entire camp as a complete surprise during the second Intermission. So we all had a most enjoyable evening of entertainment.

SUNDAY: Cloudy, windy, and cool. The usual morning housekeeping was followed by church service led by the Director in his final talk of the season. The thoughts were along the lines of carrying home some of the things and ideas that we have attempted to teach and put across during the course of the summer. Mac Mellor played for the hymn singing. After inspection the boys crowded the craft shop to ready their vessels for the upcoming Eight-inch Yacht Regatta in the afternoon. It was an ideal day for sailing so many more final races were run off. During the lunch period, Mr. Jerry Downs was officially appointed as the Deputy Commodore to replace the full Commodore, Walter Lord, who was unable to be present because of a heavy business schedule. With due pomp, the Deputy Commodore, his attendants, and the band paraded down to the waterfront for the official registration of the crafts. We then had an early outdoor supper. When all had partaken of hot dogs we started the race. The Regatta is an event in which the boys make a boat of not more than eight inches long with any type of design and sail they desire. These are all released in the water at a determined spot and the first one to reach the shore is the winner. The fastest vessel this year was a new version of the Rusty Nail, III designed by Rusty Pickett. Randy Ryan's Shamrock Queen was second, and a tie for third was held by Chris West's The Missile and McKee Lundberg's Creel. Store was followed by movies, one of which was a very excellent film in color on Rescue Breathing.

We will be sending out another Homeletter in September with the incidental bills your sons have incurred during their stay at camp. Thank you all for your very kind letters. We have enjoyed having your youngsters with us this summer and hope that they, in turn, have enjoyed themselves enough to depart from Hyde Bay with pleasant memories and a desire to return next year.


Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge