Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Homeletter 1947 Season, No. 6

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Previous Back to Index Next

HYDE BAY HOME LETTER  No. 6                                    SEASON 1947

RETURN: It is sad to relate, but the time for the close of the camp is drawing rapidly near. The boys will leave on Tuesday, August 26th, in the morning. We have asked to have Train #10 stopped at Ft. Plain. This will enable us to arrive in New York at 2:45 P.M. in the Grand Central Station. This train is called the Mohawk. It arrives at Albany at 11:45; at Harmon at 1:47. The boys will be supervised through to Washington, D. C. They should be able to catch the 4:30 train from the Pennsylvania Station due to arrive at Baltimore at 7:42 and at Washington, D. C. at 8:25. In the event that we miss this connection, notice will be given by wire.

VERY IMPORTANT: It is very vital for us to know travel plans for the boys. We have arrangements made for a bus to take us to the train and the railroad requires us to tell them how many boys are coming. Will you, therefore, please let your son or me know how he is to return home.

INVITATION: We always have a big banquet and a huge bonfire on the last night of camp. If you are planning on coming to camp to get your son, you are most cordially invited to attend. It is necessary for us to know the number we may expect. If you are to stay in Cooperstown, it is very important to make reservations as soon as possible.

MONDAY: Tents 7 and 8 went down to Gravelly to spend the night. A new set of Junior and Senior Life Saving classes started. We have a mountain top six miles front camp which we call Nebo. We have been so occupied with other activities that we have neglected this delightful spot until Bobby Pickett and Walt Gear took a group of ULs up there this day to make preparations for subsequent visits. There was a lot of aquaplaning this warm, sunny day. Joe Walsh came back from a short sojourn at the hospital.

TUESDAY: This was a hot day with more aquaplaning. Binks Little had to go home to meet a hospital appointment. Old camper Phil Rogers arrived to maintain our numbers. In historical Cherry Valley famous for its massacre, our baseball players staved off any such fate but lost the game 11—10. Off to Grave1ly went Dick Terrill with George Ruestow and Dixon Hills and his tent. Don Moore returned from the hospital.

WEDNESDAY: On the hot afternoon of this day a grand intramural or “intra-mare” swimming meet was held. Almost everyone in camp was in the meet divided into the two groups known as the Greens and the Blues. One of those groups emerged victorious. In the evening, we strained our ears to catch the faint words of the movie “Jane Eyre.” We certainly have been plagued with poor production facilities in our cinematic realm.

THURSDAY: This seems to be a day of movement. A hike went off to the famous haunted house up toward East Springfield, while Hunt and Tony led out the first Nebo trip with a selected group of hardy pioneers who mounted their station wagons and spent the night on its lofty pinnacle.

THE NEXT DAY: Walt Geer took Pete Powell, Kenny Palmer and Horse UL Charlie Riepe on the first horse hike to Nebo. When they awoke in the morning the clouds had settled down over the summit completely enveloping them in thick mist! Walt said it was an eerie experience to walk down the hill a short distance out into the light of the rising sun. History was made this day when Al Kerr who through his long association with Hyde Bay managed to sleep safely in his little cot each night, was coerced by his tent into spending the night on Gravelly. While he took along a forbidden mattress, he reported that sleeping conditions were not what they were in camp. Bob Pickett along with Heb head councilor Chandlee, took the aluminum canoe and explored Oak Creek which drains Canadaraga Lake into the Susquehanna We had hoped to make this the introduction to a routine trip down this stream but the report turned in by the spies was so unfavorable that this project has been abandoned. Two station wagon loads of eager addicts went to town to see the movies. An innovation started at camp in the form of ice cream cones in the store.

THE SEVENTH DAY: The Annual Treasure Hunt burst out in full fury. Teams dashed hither thither and occasionally yon in search of the elusive clues. Perhaps we should anticipate and say right here, that Buzzy Williams, assisted by Whit Firer, John Foshay and Mike Scofield ran down the treasure on Sunday in advance of all others. The last of the set of tent plays was won by Tony Bogatko and his Tent #3, who put on an excellent portrayal of the anxious father awaiting the arrival of the newest infant. Tony was convincing as a father. Dick Tinapp was ominously impish as his incorrigible son. Joe Walsh was a ravishing nurse while George Whiting appeared in the agitated role of the Doctor. At the very end, Dr. Whiting took down his derby from a sign on the wall “Dog and Cat” over the word Hospital and in came Nurse Walsh carrying three presumably newly born kittens which looked strangely like these that have infested our personal porch since the start of camp. Good performances were also turned in by Micky Stephenson and gang in a very mellow drama portraying life at the turn of one of our centuries on a Mississippi River steamer. The evening opened with a scene from the history of that famous organization the UL. Puffy Evans portrayed very impressively the Director. He was abetted, of course, by three pillows and the usual directorial garments. The group convulsed their audience by constructing actually on the stage an alleged addition to Kip’s cabin. The part of the ULs was taken impressively by the ULs, while Jimmy Ross appeared as the idle spectator.

ON SUNDAY: our preacher was Dick Terrill. While Hunt took a station wagon load into town to listen to more professional clergymen. The usual station wagon load of boys went to the Catholic Church. Tent #3 won the Inspection Contest and pushed off to town in the motor boat piloted by Tony.

QUERY: We are wondering who “Carter” was in the last Home Letter. The Director denies dictating it, his Secretary denies typing it and no one in camp has any idea who this mysterious person might be.

Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge