Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Homeletter 1936 Vol. 9, No. 2

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Previous Back to Index Next

Hyde Bay

HYDE BAY HOME LETTER           VOLUME NINE          NO. 2  July 13, 1936.

    Let us be fashionable and talk of the heat.  Cooperstown broke all existing records with 99 degrees.  No record was kept at Hyde Bay, but obviously it was hotter than usual.  It approached 90 on several oc­casions.   There has been no rain since July 3, when a heavy shower was as short as it was intense. Sunday a mere sprinkle fell.

    Johnny Chittenden pulled into camp on Friday. Prescott Huidekoper motored in with his mother this week.A reallocation of places was the result.  Johnny went to Walter's tent with Hyde and Bobby.  George McAdams moved down the hill a step to Jack Young's pavilion, while Bruce Matthai ascended to the Elder Statesmen tepee, where on Sunday morning George Westerlind arrived to join this tribe.  Prescott wentin with Sunshine Pickett in the newly erected tent.

    In the two new Oldtown canoes Mr. Dresser has been on two trips of exploration.  They follow a rather set pattern and will be enjoyed by every boy in camp who wants to go.  Coasting down the Eastern wooded side of Otsego they first climbed high up to Natty Bumpo's famous cave. After a light lunch followed by a dinner cooked on the beach, on went the canoes to council rock, the Clinton Dam Marker and down the river for a half mile to the water-works dam.  Then on around the lake to Five mile point where a dead course was set for camp.  On the first trip Sunshine Pickett assisted with Francis Barker, Kennedy Cromwell, Ralph Thomas and Jim Bryant as crew.   The next trip found Jack Young in the stern of the other canoe with Eddie Supplee, Albert Wampole, Tom Hardie, Hyde Clarke, George McAdams, Chauncey Hall, and Mr. Dresser making up the rest of the party.

    We now have our full complement of four horses which are busy most
of the time under the eagle eye of Billy Payne. Overnight horse hikes
to a brand new camping ground will soon start.  Margaret of last year
with a friend of hers from her home at West Winfield, are the new

    A league has been formed in two realms of baseball.  The toy game, which was invented by the Director in a weak moment, has rules and laws and a Landis in the person of Walter Lord.  They play threeinnings.   On the field the Delawares, Mohicans, and Mohawks battle twice per week.Each team has a variety of types.  On the Mohicans, for example, weights range from 64 to 251, and there is a spread of over thirty years in ages.

    In the first league game Pitcher Pine held the Mohicans to four hits while the Delawares slashed the Director's offerings all over the lot for a seven to four victory.  Batting hero of the winners was Albert Wampole with three timely hits accounting for four of the win­ning runs.  Next game is on Wednesday between the Mohawks and the Mohicans.

    Bain not bane.  Donald Bain, of radio and screen fame but more recently touring the camp belt, is in camp as we write to give his famous imitation of all that makes a noise from a chickadee to a fast freight.   His portrayal of a frightened mouse sent our Garbo into a mad fit of curiosity.  He performs tonight.Meanwhile he leads out groups and councilors in bird-walks.

    The recreation hall, which has a bark and board pattern of roof, which has given it the name of the poodle for obvious reason, is under­going a remodeling which gives it floor and sides.  Alas for human ambition! Walter Lord abetted by the nefarious Lynn, now says it looks like a roadside stand and actually had the temerity to apply for the concession.

    On Saturday evening the eligible among us went to Cooperstown and sweltered through two feature pictures.  Half Angel and Border Patrol furnished the thrills.  After recuperation at Sherry's we all came home.   The trip was driven by Walter Kop and the Director.

    For a week campers have been combing Shadow Brook for steeds to en­ter in the July Turtle Derby.  The event came off on Saturday.  It was a great success.  Entry fee was one chocolate bar.  There were four prizes which curiously enough were chocolate bars too.  First was won by a husky reptile owned by Freddie Brune and conditioned by Jack Young.  "Sweet Pea" as she (?) was called romped home an easy victor. "Oscar", developed by Michael Thomas, took second candy with a steady performance.  Cromwell's entry "X4" of the X stables was third after a run off with "Follow Me" who had to be content with presenting the owner, Eddie Supplee, with fourth.  "Sweet Pea" was a well developed reptile but the others were promising shell-toters who should make their marks in this field of sport.  It should be said that the entries bore the oils rather than the silks of their stables as they were one and all gaily painted with elaborate designs.

    The sailboat has been over twice so far.  The first time we were lucky in getting a first-hand description from a survivor of this mar­ine disaster.  Lord said, "Fellows, it was ghastly."  Later Sunshine tipped over with a distinguished crew.

Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge