Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Home Letter Volume 35, July 17, 1961 Number 3

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Back to Index

Home Letter Heading

VOLUME 35                    July 17, 1961                          No. 3

HEALTH: We can always expect one or two so—called “bugs” during the course of the summer that afflict a certain portion of camp, We have now been besieged by one of a twenty—four hour variety. It is relatively mild; we have been in touch with the Pediatrician who expresses no concern and considerable optimism that the malady has just about run its course. Please do not be alarmed by any dire reports from your offspring. They are now all cured, and any new ones soon will be.

DEPARTURES: A number of parents have signified that their sons will be staying on for our second half of camp. There are a rapidly decreasing number of vacancies for the second half. If your son decides to stay on, we can still accept your official notification, For those leaving at the end of the first period, there is enclosed an addressed post card to facilitate your letting us know when your son will be leaving and by what mode of transportation. There will not be a sufficient number to warrant a supervised group by train or bus. Please correctly fill out and return the card to us as soon as possible. We vitally need this information in our changeover plans for Friday, July 28.

ENTRIES: Unless it interferes with your personal plans, it would be a convenience to us if the new boys coming in on July 28 would plan to arrive in camp during the afternoon.

MONDAY: We were greeted in the morning by a fine camp day which precipitated our sending out trips in every direction. The first two-day Susquehanna left under the control of Capt. Doug Coupe, assisted by Jock MoQuilkin and Dave Wilber. This trip consists of a repeat of the one-day trip plus a continuation down the river for the second day. The boys are on the ground for two nights and and picked up just this side of Oneonta, N.Y. Shortly before 10:00 a.m. Frank Pine lead a group of young campers out on another fossil hunt. They returned in time for lunch laden with many fine specimens. After lunch, Dick Carlton sallied forth, for the second time, in search of snow in Snow Gulch. His co—explorer was Charlie Burnham. The mission was most successful for the young campers that accompanied him. Busy Frank Pine also took a group beachcombing for driftwood down along our beach. Late afternoon saw Dick Koppisch, Tom Gilmore, and Bob Cunningham lead a strong contingent up Strawberry Mountain for an overnight trip on Lockout. Unlike last week, this was a dry trip!!

JULY 11: The day was cloudy with rain in the afternoon. Shortly before inspection Dave McManus, By Johnson, Frank Pine, and Freem Allen guided a hike to Pine Cobble Cave. This is a smal1 mountain about eight miles round trip from camp that once was mined for lignite, a form of coal. Twenty—two campers in all made the trip on foot. Sufficient wind kept the sailboats busy, and water skiing was enjoyed by many in the afternoon in spite of a few showers.

WEDNESDAY: Haziness and mugginess started the day off, but finally ended

____________________ Back of page _____________________________


with a hot afternoon, which afforded a great deal of fine swimming. Coupe and company returned from the River trip. The wind again cooperated with the sailing department--all sailboats under full sail all afternoon. A delightful comedy, “A Southern Yankee” entertained us on Cinema Night. Red Skelton is always a hit.

JULY 13: The sun rose very hot and the lake was as calm as a “Glimmerglass.” A little rain but not enough to dampen the spirits of camp. Shortly after the tent inspections, Comet #3169 was re—christened, having been put in dry dock far repairs a week previously. We had a most sincere and eloquent launching speech by our Admiral, Scrambled Eggs Jim Main, of the theater department. A few pertinent words were offered by Commodore Murphy of our Comet Fleet. Mr Ryan, Betty’s Father, came from Boston to repair the host alter it had been slightly damaged. He also made a brief comment before his good wife, Mrs. Ryan, poured a bottle of soda pop over the bow of the gallant 3168. This newest member of our Comet Fleet was launched just in time for the planned sailing races with Camp Chenango. Unfortunately, the wind died shortly after the onset of the race and necessitated the races being cancelled for the day. The afternoon was devoted to lots of swimming, boating, aquaplaning, and water skiing. One of the after—supper games entertained the campers until bedtime.
A RAINY FRIDAY: Rain began in the evening on Thursday and continued all day this day which afforded an excellent opportunity to start our trips to the Farmer’s Museum and The Baseball Hall of fame. Mr. Carlton conducted a shuttle—type bus trip with the camp bus to and from the museums in town. We feel very fortunate to have such a rainy day outlet near at hand. The afternoon saw more swimming--the rain was warm and the water was warmer than the air above it. The craft shop also had lots of customers. In the evening the UL’s and elder boys made their weekly trip into town to the movies.
Saturday: It was warm with a slight overcast in the morning but changed to the warm rain in the afternoon. It did not deter our twelve—and—under hardball team from travelling to Chenango, where they won a smashing victory with a score of 16—0. Sailing races were again scheduled and then cancelled for lack of the motivating winds. In the evening, the second series of Off—Broadway Plays was presented in the Hyde Bay Theater. All the plays were their usual fine quality, but the judges finally decided on Tent #l0’s presentation of “Bus Stop” as the top winner. The best actor award was a dual selection; the judges could not eliminate one and John Howard along with Stephen Lines were the recipients. The best actress was Ed Griswold. between—play—entertainment was initiated again this year and was heartily, lustily, and enjoyably greeted by the audience. Dave Wilber was on his electric guitar, joined by Jim Main, Doug Coupe, and Jock McQuilkin in the vocal strains.
TRUNK INSPECTION DAY: Mr. Hilliard led our church services, giving us a fine talk en great men in Christianity as well as great men in history, telling us what makes a man greet in the eyes of his fellow man. The weather man cooperated long enough to get trunk inspections done without benefit of rain that threatened all morning. Hot showers followed the inspection, then lots of swimming rinsed off the remains of the hot showers. The clouds finally opened up in the afternoon. Fortunately, all this rain has been of a tepid type with no thunder or lightening connected with it; so, we still have been able to get in a lot of water activity. Outdoor supper and educational movies finished up the day.
PAYS FOR NEXT WEEK: The tents that will be entertaining us next week in the theater at 8:30 p.m. are Tents #53A, 6, 7, and 8. It promises to be an interesting as well as unusual type of program, since those are the youngest tents in camp.
Although the weather has not been ideal for camping, it could have been much worse. With somewhat better predictions for this week, we hope to get out lots of overnight trips of various and sundry sorts.

Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge