Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Home Letter Volume 34, July 25, 1960 Number 5

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Back to Index

Home Letter Heading

Volume 34                        July 25, 1960                       Number 5

COMING EVENTS: On Thursday night, August 18th, we will hold our annual Barbeque and Bonfire and the awarding of prizes and certificates. Expect the eating to start about 6:30 p.m. There will be either notices later with more detail. You and your immediate family are invited. Boys will leave Thursday night or Friday.

RESERVATIONS: Cooperstown is busy in August. You would be wise to make your reservations now. Many veteran parents have already made them. If you will let us know the type of accomodations you will require, we will gladly make the arrangements. If you prefer you can write directly. The options range from the American Plan Treadway- Otesaga’s $36.00 per day for two persons, including all meals or the modified American Plan omitting the mid—day meal at $32.00 per two persons to our immediate neighbors, Rathhun’s Hyde Bay Cottages - address: Cooperstown, R. D., N.Y. Our parents universally claim this an excellent place to stay. Rooms for two are 8.00, I believe.

FALLING STARS AND VISITING PARENTS: August is the month for these phenomena. We have no visiting hours. You are welcome anytime. Coming without notice, you may find your son far down the Susquehanna River or off in the Adirondacks. An addition to our facilities is a powder room for the ladies to which your son will direct you.

HEALTH: Bob Cunningham received a batted ball on his nose, reminiscent of the similar missile which sidelined pitcher Herb Score for so many long months. Complications arose. Bob has ben in the hospital quite a few days. It was necessary to operate. As we go to press all reports are most favorable. Once more we are devoutly thankful for the Bassett hospital and its nationally known staff of doctors and surgeons. We are seven miles, or in an emergency, ten minutes from this fine institution.

IMPORTANT ACHIEVMENTS: Campers Astmann, R. Farber, J. Gilmore, Gould, Hennrich, D. Henry, High, Rogers, and Wilson have successfully passed the Junior Life Saving Examination after spending most of the first half of camp under the experienced instruction of Bill Brooks. Continuing in an aquatic vein, Frank Saunders and Brax Andrews swam their “D” test leaving only two non—swimmers in camp at mid—point.

AN INCIDENT: Dr. William D. Lynn of Baltimore brought Billy to camp for the second half. Brian Phillips, at present residing in Canada, came to take away son Scott at the end of the first half. The point of this tale: Dr. Bill was councilor in Brian’s tent, lo these many years ago. We have a gratifying number of sons of alumni with us.

JULY 18th: Cloudy, warm, humid. Tripper Steinzig and assistants led out another two—day Susquehanna trip. Mouldy and Chiefy, with other juveniles from tents 53A, 6 and 7 spent the afternoon at the circus

_____________________ Back of Page ________________________

which came to town, replete with peanuts and elephants. In softball Hyde Bay defeated Chenango l4—8. Pitching by Williams, and all—around sparkling play by Hennrich produced this result. Over the hills, nine miles away to our Mt. Nebo went Mac Mellor and attendant councilors with a couple of loads of campers, to spend the night 2200’ above the Atlantic.

TUESDAY: Cloudy again. Shadow Brook was explored by several expeditions. Younger campers gave the genus salamanders a very bad time. Teddy Clucas caught ten to be champion, followed by Jim Erdle with seven.
Mouldy and Doug took a bevy of hikers to explore the beaver dam near Nebo. We had two hard thunder showers in the afternoon, but Art Brooks and John Hendee and sundry of the pioneer campers spent the night on Lookout. Others returned to civilization and its comforts.

JULY 20th: Clear, cool and windy. Much sailing with practice races. A group to the Farmers Museum. The survivors of the two day Susquehanna returned, all of them, that is. Captain John King and his Eagles devoured a watermellon for winning the softball pennant The Chief took a group to the cavern of eternal snows. At night we saw Clifton Webb in Scout Master.

THE NEXT DAY: Clear and breezy. We beat Chenango in sailing by a score of 32—30. A lot of aquap1aning.

THE DAY AFTER THAT: Cloudy, cool but clear. Around twenty—five boys departed, and about as many arrived. We water—skied, took an Up—the— Lake canoe trip under Admiral Hilliard. The sophisticates went to town to view the commercial cinema.

SATURDAY: Overcast with arrivals and departures continuing. A giant hike was taken out by Dick Steinzig who abandoned his canoes for portage practice. Many canoe tests and sailing races. The afternoon was enlivened by the annual “Hot Rock” contest. Boys searched all over for painted stones for which they were awarded at supper—time. Mike Fredenthal was the winner. A host of others received cash or barter prizes.

DRAMETTE: The tiniest residents of our oasis of peace in a disturbed world put on a sort of Gilbert and Sullivan medley to the enthusiastic acclaim of all. Then followed a panel show M.C.d much better than Jack Parr would have done it, by our own Ned Atwater. Sundry dignitaries of our organization were treated disrespectfully to the evident pleasure of their clients. The juvenile organization was billed as ‘Dependent Children’s Local #7. They received the prize.

SUNDAY: Clear, cool, breezy. Jim Main conducted an impressive church service. Tents #4 and #8 won the inspection trip. There were some baseball practice and sailing races. To supplement our one short movie on the production of choco1ate we appropriately ruined the complexion of many marshmallows at the fir on the beach.

L’ENVOI (I hope this is right): As we are dictating on the shady shore the second Trenton Falls trip is busy with preparations for departure. We enclose tent lists for our new parents and bills for the camp fee.

Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge