Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Home Letter Volume 25, July 30, 1951 No. 8

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Back to Index

Home Letter Header


VOLUME 25             July 30, 1951                   No. 8

MONDAY, JULY 23: The weather was ideal for the big league ball game at Cooperstown. Over sixty of us saw the Dodgers beat the Athletics in one of the best games the blase stars have ever played on historic Doubleday Field. Under the able personal direction of Chiefie, all arrangements were perfectly carried out. Marshall Severance, assisted by Phil Schwartz, spent the night on Gravelley. This day a horse stepped on Sandy Casdatt. A trip to the hospital discovered no broken bones.

TUESDAY: This was a clear, calm, and warm day. Hyde Bay administered a second defeat to Camp Chenango in a hard-fought battle by a score of 13—4. The battery of Hawks to Andrew functioned efficiently. Catcher Andrew hit a home run. Quite a few fans were interested enough to submit to the modern ignominy of walking to witness the game. Councilors Callard and Forman took a trip to the Sunken Islands, while Bud Feinen was on the Lookout with a group sketching. Marshmallows were consumed in the evening. Ring Pickett went to the hospital today to have a sore ear treated. He is still there as we go to press. A shipment of tents came in from New York and tent 18 received a new cover. Bob Pickett unearthed those scarce articles on his trip to New York.

THE SWIMMING TESTS: Andrew, John Long, Schwartz, and Williams passed the “A” test. Pickett and Bill Bristor satisfied the “E” requirements while Tom Mercer passed the “D.” Incidentally, Tom has left the family nest and is living in the camp proper.

JULY 25: Clear and sunny all day. This was changeover day. Twenty odd left, while ten came in. Bob Pickett took a group of six to New York to the waiting arms of parents or the hospitable seats of the Pennsylvania. Both Greens and Don Foot passed their “D” tests as a sort of grand finale. New arrivals Backes and Bolignino passed their “E” tests. There were a lot of “A” tests, also. The latter are getting as common as flights across the Atlantic, so we can no longer give them Lindbergh-like acclaim. In the evening we saw an excellent movie, portraying the adventures of a horse. It was cal1ed Sand.

THURDAY: The third Susquehanna trip, under the command of Dick Geist, assisted by councilors Russell and Williams, made their usual assault upon the Susquehanna at Phoenix. There was a Gravelley trip, generously sprinkled by rain at a little before 6:00.

ANOTHER DAY: - whose name you may deduce. “D” tests were passed by Backes, Pickett, and Winkenwerder. We did a lot of aquap1aning and many boys developed proficiency on the water skis. The veterinarian called on our spotted mare who is paying the penalty of gluttony.


The older boys went off to town to the movies. Senior Life—Saving was started. This group consists mostly of councilors. We like to have our staff, as far as possible, American Red Cross Savior Life Savers.

SLIGHTLY OVERCAST SATURDAY: The gala opening of Dwarf Field was rained out by a heavy burst in the afternoon. This new name for Doublemarsh Field derives from the stature, but not the wisdom, of a certain educator. More water skiing. Douglas Coupe passed the “D” test. We had many visitors, among whom we must mention old councilor Heb Evans, who has left the country relatively undefended while he is spending a three day leave from Camp Attorbury, Indiana.

TNE DIVINE DRAMA: I mean the astute could divine that it was drama. Tents 17 and 18 combined to produce a three act play full of thrills and exciting episodes. Rusty Chandler portrayed a matronly proprietress to whose hostelry were attracted G.I.’s Foster and Forstman. They all finally ended up in the torture chamber, where a certain towering councilor applied his horrific weapons with great skill. The dance of Geisha girls John Long and Crawford was as brief as their garments.

CURTAIN RAISER: Mr. James Turner, at camp to replace son Stevie by another immediate descendant, named Scottie gave us an introductory program of songs in which the audience joined lustily. Mr. Turner has his own television show in Baltimore.

FINALLY, SATURDAY: Clear and hot. The usual remorseless inspection of tents and trunks by our Head Councilor. Then came our Sunday service led by Bob Pickett. A long line of trunk—clad urchins were duly weighed. After an interlude of fried chicken and the usual rest period, there was a swimming meet in which Eddie Brown’s team beat the aggregation headed by John Alexander in a very exciting contest. The winners were treated to bottles of pop. There was water skiing. Tent 3 went to town in the Hacker as a reward for neatness. We had a couple of short movies, one of them exposing the virtues of lacrosse. (The spelling last week attracted the criticism of the great Maryland coach of the sport. Please note change!)

REMARKABLE REMARK: A parent, marveling at several favorable reports, wrote me to inquire if that was what I “said to all the girls.”

VESTIGIAL GROUP: To close the first half, there were only four non—swimmers in camp, some of them could swim more or less.

HOW LONG IS THE “A” TEST? Well, you row across to Clark’s Point and swim all the way back to camp. According to the scale of miles on the geological survey map, I would call it something less than a mile. The boys who have covered the distance will be incensed at this estimate. I am sure if any father were to swim it, he would tell all his friends it was two miles, at least. Anyhow, it is farther than even the adiposely buoyant, such as your scribe, would hesitate to try. Let’s be conservative and call it a mile.

BLACK MAIL: An anonymous note warns me that if a certain councilor’s name is mentioned, he always steals copies of this publication. I have, therefore, omitted his name, which will be supplied to anyone sending in three box tops from Pratt’s Dog Food.

Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge