Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Home Letter Volume 27, July 20, 1953 No. 3

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Back to Index

Home Letter Header

VOLUME 27             July 20, 1953                   No. 3

MOST IMPORTANT: Our records show eighteen boys planning to leave at the end of the first half on July 2nd. The same archives disclose seventeen boys entered for the second half. On each of the reports concerned I am making a notation. Please call us promptly if we are incorrect, or if you or your son has a change of plan. It’s very close, figuring to fit the numerous replacements into tents of a proper age. Mr. Chandlee’s administrative genius will be taxed to its uttermost.

WEATHER: It has been dry hot and warm all this week with an inadequate spot of rain. We seldom have it as hot as it has been this week. I read twice on our porch thermometer just four degrees short of 90.

HEALTH: Our infirmary has had a tenant for one night. Frank Higgins pierced his foot with a tennis racquet press (believe it or not)j it was promptly treated at the hospital and is progressing nicely.

THE WEEK’S FIRST DAY: Al Kerr took our youngest boys to the the Sunken Islands, a shallow spot in the lake rich in Cooper tradition where even the smallest boy can stand with his head out of water. Parent Bill Legg brought us some marvelous plastic called Pyrocon. Jack Garver’s satellites have used it with great enthusiasm. Susquehanna Trip #4 set forth with Gorter and Navas assisted by Commander Evans. A basketball game found the Triggs with a score of 44 as against the Boyds’ 19.

TUESDAY: Warm again. Susquehanna #5. Subalterns Offutt and Williams joined Heb at Phoenix. Stevie Saulsbury passed his “D” test. Tent #11 under Sandy assisted by the redoubtable Rozendaal spent the night on Gravelly. We aquaplaned in the afternoon.

WEDNESDAY: Councilors Carey and Sargent took out Susquehanna #6 to join Heb. (Previous trips were brought back when the replacements wore taken out). The night was spent on Gravelly by Tent 53B under Pete Powell assisted by U. L. Brown. (The two new tents we were obliged to put up this year were appropriately named 53A and 53B.) Coach Gorter’s baseball team went down to Chenango and returned with their scalps. The score was 13—1 with Bob Trigg striking out fifteen. Catcher Butterfield starred. Dick Moss and Ken Boyd wielded powerful bats.
_______________ Back of Page ______________________

FULL ATTENDANCE DAY: This Thursday found all campers in residence for the first time since Sunday. We postponed the movie from Wednesday to this evening to take advantage of this situation. We saw a very good color film called “Buffalo Bill.” In soft ball Trigg beat Schwartz 8—7 but the Super staged a comeback with his basketball by humbling Barker 46—19. A sailing race took advantage of a beautiful day. In the morning the youngest boys were wildly enthusiastic over a ride in the Hacker.

FRIDAY: Even the Chamber of Commerce had to admit it was hot this day. The peripatetic Heb with assistants Offutt and Stephenson took a flotilla completely around the lake. Camper Fallon passed his “D” test. The ranks of un—swimming boys are steadily decreasing. The youngest campers under Special—Detail—Man Al Kerr enjoyed a field day in the literal sense with potato races, three—legged races and other conventional contests. For some reason, hidden from your reporter, the boys elected to hold a battle on Strawberry Mountain this hot afternoon. The carnage was fearful but even the most serious “casulties” reported at supper in excellent condition. Why can’t all wars be as happily administered? Tent plays were pushed up to Friday because we were to go to the Mills Brother’s Circus on Saturday. Idler’s Tent #4 put on a stellar production called “Baby and the Beast” and  won the Hershey bars. Mr. Russell finally at long last announced the winner at Sunday dinner. Parents of all actors will again receive a program. Once more it was a very amusing evening with the decision a difficult one to make. “Indian Summer” and “Great Impressions” well deserved the extremely honorable mention given them by Judge Russell.

THEN SATURDAY: Another hot day. Two bus loads went in to the Circus. Al Kerr literally sweated out (to use a military term) the afternoon while Heb took them down at night. We had a long afternoon of swimming with a lot of aquaplaning. Mrs. Pickett resolutely bid over her other competitors at a nearby auction with the result that we now have a new piano In the Lodge -- new to us -- and in excellent condition. Bob Pickett and our strongest councilors promptly brought it down and installed it. By courtesy of the Shell Oil Company we witnessed three rather technical films this evening.

AT LAST SUNDAY: Some clouds in the sky for variety. The Director conducted the camp religious service drawing lessons from the childhood of the most famous Man of all time. We made another trip in the afternoon to the Indian Village across the lake. This time we were motorized. The Hacker, the S. T., and the African Queen, newly powered with our old outboard, took the aborigine-admirers over the Glimmerglass in record time. (Glimmerglass as you know is the Cooper label of the lake.) Councilor Gorter, an incurable White Sox fan, kept his radio to his ear during the whole trip -- a doubtful pleasure as the athletes representing this loyal Chicagoan went down to a double defeat. Tent #9 won the inspection but had the trip to town postponed until next week because of that unfamilar phenomenon of nature, a rain storm. Two excellent films were the feature of the evening portraying the development of the beet sugar industry and extolling the Ford contest for craftmanship.

UNUSUAL MEALS: On both Saturday and Sunday evenings we had supper served outdoors cafeteria style from the new porch.

Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge