Hyde Bay Logo Hyde Bay Camp For Boys
Home Letter Volume 26, July 07, 1952 No. 1

Back to The Lodge
Back to Home Letters

Back to Index

Home Letter Header

VOLUME 27             July 7, 1952                   No. 1

EXPLANATION: Hyde Bay was founded in 1927. This home letter has been written to all parents each week since 1931. The letter is designed to give parents the information who a small boy is far too busy to impart each week. The Director is the Editor. His reporter in the field is Head Councilor, Chandlee. If there are grandparents or other relatives and friends to whom you would like this chronicle sent, please advise us.

REPORTS: You will find enclosed the first set of reports from the tent councilors. Comments are added occasionally by Betty Pickett, the camp nurse, on matters of health, and by the Head Councilor and Director.
BILLS: You will find enclosed a statement of the camp tuition. As some boys are here for four weeks only, to simplify bookkeeping, all parents are charged for the first four weeks at the weekly rate, of $240. The second half bill for boys who are staying the full eight weeks is $160.

INCIDENTALS: Instead of requiring a cash payment upon purchase, we charge on the boy’s account such personal expenditures as laundry, candy, stationery and various supplies. The bill for this is rendered shortly after the boy leaves camp. There are no extra charges at Hyde Bay.

NUMBERS: Our capacity is 85 boys. This year we had to make provision for 89. Eighty—five of those are already in camp with one reported sick and two coming in at the beginning of the second week. This is our largest camp since the war. With the exception of a circular letter sent to the parents of boys in Gilman School, no other promotional work has been done. The boys are here because you parents of old campers and our other friends have been so kind as to recommend Hyde Bay.

THE COUNCIL: We will enclose a separate list of the council for this year. I am very pleased with this group. We have three more councilors than those actually needed to supervise each tent.

SUMMER SCHOOL: Messrs. Barriskill, Dresser, Mercer and Russell are giving individual instruction to sixteen of our campers.

ROUTINE INCIDENTS: One boy missed the train in Baltimore, one is sick, one came a few days late, one trunk has not yet arrived and two trunks had to be forced open due to the absence of keys.

_____________ Back of Page ___________________________

ARRIVALS: Robert Trigg came Saturday, Bob LeFevre came Monday on the Empire State Express which bore away Bob Pickett who returned at 6:00 P.M. on Tuesday with a following of 49 boys. Jimmy Bordley was the first arrival by car at 8:30. Others autoed in all day.

WEDNESDAY: This first full day at camp was clear, warm and breezy. The comets were out, innumerable tests were passed, Shadow Brook was visited by sundry nostalgic old campers.

THEN CAME THURSDAY: Jack Garver led an expedition to Shadow Brook to search for modeling clay and to indulge in the traditional mud fight. Two of his lieutenants, Bullock and Crisler, punctured their foot seriously enough to visit the hospital and to be hobbling about at the moment. After supper, the Hacker was employed to give the camp an exploratory ride on the Glimmerglass (this is the poetic and allegedly Indian name for Otsego Lake). Swimming tests continued.

THE GLORIOUS FOURTH: This national holiday dawned somewhat dubiously and once succeeded in raining a bit. This did not deter our annual visitor, Commodore Lord, from arriving in his Nash Rambler. He departed late Sunday night after administering his usual inspiration to the camp. Gordon Lyons followed too literally in the footsteps of his councilors and cut his foot to an extent requiring stitches medically administered at the Bassett Hospital. Immediately after the mid-day meal those boys who had brought fire crackers and other explosives to camp were lined up on the beach where those menaces were expended with no harm to personnel. At night the traditional celebration was extended when each camper was provided with a box of sparklers. Lined up in a long row along the beach, this presented a very attractive picture. Councilor, Tom Offutt and his assistants set off rockets from the tower, one of which scored a direct hit on a nearby comet.

SATURDAY: The afternoon was featured by the annual first Saturday Hot-Rock Contest. Some hundred odd stones were numbered in paint and placed whore stones are normally not found. The camp was then turned loose to find them. Each stone was worth actual cash. Billy Barker was the big winner while Ricky Donahoo found the most valuable and best hidden stone. Sundry young men were subjected to hot showers under the watchful eye of the Head Councilor and his assistants. We have installed a large oil burning heater which insures hot water at any hour of the day or night.

CINEMA: The first of our eight movies proved to be “Ticket to Tomahawk.” It was hugely enjoyed.

SUNDAY: More boys were scrubbed. All the camp was weighed. You will find the results on the enclosed reports. The tents were given an unusually thorough inspection which included the trunks, (i.e. baggage) of every camper. At 9:30 in the theater, the director conducted the short religious service which is our weekly custom at Hyde Bay. It was a hot summer day which stimulated much swimming with many more tests passed. The afternoon was largely given over to aquaplaning followed by water skiing -- both in back of the Hacker. Blaise deSibour and his tent which had emerged neatest for the week, went to town with the mail in the above-mentioned vessel.

SWIMMING DATA: In this huge camp of ours, there are only six who are classified as non—swimmers. Seven others have only passed their “E” test.

Back to Home Letters
Back to The Lodge